This item is in: Food Science > Lipids (Including the Oily Press Series)Lipids in nutrition and health: A reappraisal
Michael Ian Gurr, Maypole Scientific Services, UK
Oily Press Lipid Library Series No. 11
...I can highly recommend this book to both professionals and students alike. It brings you up to date in enjoyable fashion. And it is never boring, I can assure you.
If there were an award for the quality of writing in the lipid field, this book would be a strong contender.
Chemistry and Industry
Whilst detailed and comprehensive, the book is written in an extremely readable style and will provide a valuable source of reference for anyone involved with lipids in food.
BNF Nutrition Bulletin
Since 80% of the global production of oils and fats is consumed as food and a further 6% is eaten by animals to produce more human food, it is not surprising that nutrition is one of the active areas in lipid science. For 10 years, Mike Gurr has written nutrition articles in lipid technology amounting to nearly 60 reviews. The result is a powerful and critical survey of important aspects of lipid nutrition which will be appreciated by lipid technology readers and should be compulsory reading for those not familiar with the original articles.
Areas covered include: influence of dietary fats on the concentrations of lipids carried in the blood and the significance for health, the nutritional and biological properties of the polyunsaturated fatty acids, and lipids in foods and raw materials, among other topics.
ISBN 0 9531949 1 4
ISBN-13: 978 0 9531949 1 9
240 pages 216 x 138mm hardback
£87.50 / US$145.00 / €105.00
Usually dispatched within 24 hours
About the author
Michael Ian Gurr, Maypole Scientific Services, Isles of Scilly, UK.
Titles which may also be of interest:
Advances in lipid methodology
Confectionery fats handbook
Lipids for functional foods and nutraceuticals
Lipid glossary 2
Influence of dietary fats on the concentrations of lipids carried in the blood and the significance for health
- Fat digestion and assimilation
- Prediction of lipid and lipoprotein responses to dietary fat and cholesterol
- Cholesterol in the diet and in the blood: a more detailed appraisal
- Saturated fatty acids and hypercholesterolaemia: are all saturated fatty acids equal?
- Trans fatty acids: their influence on blood lipids and their wider health implications
- Cis-Monounsaturated fatty acids: are they really 'neutral'?
- Dietary fat, blood lipids and health. Which is more important: total amount of fat eaten or its composition?
- Changes in blood lipid after a meal: significance for health
Dietary fats and cardiovascular disease
- Background to the debate
- Evidence in support of the lipid hypothesis
- Evidence against the lipid hypothesis
- Dietary fat and cardiovascular disease: are current guidelines justified?
- Epilogue: The politicization of science
Nutritional significance of lipid peroxidation
- Lipid peroxidation
- Significance of oxidation of lipids in foods
- Lipid peroxidation and the body's defence against it
- Antioxidant defence against damage by lipid peroxides
- The concept of oxidant stress
- Research into links between diet, oxidant stress and disease
- Future directions
The nutritional and biological properties of the polyunsaturated fatty acids
- Polyunsaturated and essential fatty acids — the distinction
- Linoleic and alpha-linolenic acids as precursors of the n–6 and n–3 families of polyunsaturates
- Long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids of the n–6 family: gamma-linolenic and arachidonic acids
- Long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids of the n–3 family
- Dietary n–6/n–3 polyunsaturates balance: is it important?
- Dietary requirements for the essential fatty acids
- Endpiece: What is 'essential' in regard to lipids?
Dietary fats in relation to weight control
- Energy nutrients and body weight control
- Fats and fattening: can we fool the system?
Lipids in foods and raw materials
- Meat lipids
- Lipids of milk
- A trans acid that is good to eat? Conjugated linoleic acid
- Lipids in infant nutrition
- Short-chain and medium-chain fatty acids in nutrition and metabolism
- Oil palm lipids: edible oils with interesting nutritional attributes
- Plant sterols in the diet